Thursday, January 30, 2014

Why I Love San Antonio Part 1/5

"WHY I LOVE SAN ANTONIO"
Part 1/5 - Architecture
Written by Timothy McVain

"My SATX" by TimothyMcVain
While San Antonio may not be able to compete with the likes of Dallas or and Houston for tall buildings or a crowded skyline, we have many beautiful structures. High above the city, the Tower of the Americas is a beacon glowing in the night and a silent giant during the day. I always tell people if they are lost downtown to memorize where you parked in relation to the tower because you can see it no matter where you are.



Two of my favorite structures in the city happen to be neighbors; the Bexar County Courthouse and San Fernando Cathedral. Both of which are breathtaking during the day or night.





I know that I'm probably part of a minority on this next one, but I love the Frost Bank building downtown. Frost Bank has a knack for choosing interesting architecture for their headquarters and while I think Austin's is my favorite, there's just something about the one here in San Antonio that I like. Perhaps it's the simplicity and sleek design, or the beautiful park and statue across the street dedicated to the founder.




Coming in at a close number 2 on my list for favorite structures downtown is the Tower Life Building that has had different names in the past (Smith-Young Tower, Transit Tower). There are cool gargoyles on the side of the building too! I like the style and the 1920's feel of the architecture.





My #1 favorite structure downtown will not surprise anyone that has followed my blogs for a while; The San Antonio Central Library! I am occasionally lost for words to describe how much I love this building. To name a few of the highlights; there's an outdoor plaza, colorful parking garage, artwork and sculptures inside including a blown glass sculpture by Dale Chihuly, unique and elaborate interior and exterior design by the architect Ricardo Legorreta, and larger than life yellow walls that end up in sky lit pyramid shaped skylights. Oh, and they have books too, rows and rows; tons of them...








 What do YOU love about San Antonio? Write it in the comments down below!


Follow Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment