Friday, February 14, 2014

My "Oakland, California" Drawing- An Explanation

OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA

An Explanation of my Drawing "OAKLAND, CA"
Drawn and Written by Timothy McVain


Oakland, the city of my birth, is a place very dear to me even though I've moved to the far away land of Texas. In drawing the city, my intrigue and appreciation has been rekindled. A beautiful place often grouped with San Francisco and San Jose as part of the Bay Area, Oakland stands out as a city of diverse culture, important history, magnificent architecture, and a still bright future. Though my memory is not too clear concerning my own experiences seeing some of the significant structures in my drawing I couldn't help but feel, while drawing everything from photos I found online, a yearning to return! (And I plan to soon.) So now, to the details in one of my personal favorite drawings.
The first structure that may catch one's attention is a little red house at the bottom center of the picture; this is the house where I was born and grew up in until I was about fifteen years old. My Mom really liked the brightly colored homes popping up around Emeryville and Oakland during the early 2000's and decided to make my Dad, my siblings, friends, and I help paint the house bright red with teal trim. I loved the color, even though most of the neighbors couldn't handle the drastic change and contrast in color! Sadly, it's been repainted.

Obviously, there are the Oakland Hills covering the entire bottom half of the drawing; hills that were always watching over me as I was growing up. The Mormon Temple, Grand Lake Theater, and Lake Merritt surround my childhood home. Above the roof and chimney of my old house is the stylized name of Oakland's “Children's Fairyland” where I have fond childhood memories. From left to right above the Oakland Hills is the Clorox building downtown, the Fruitvale street bridge, 180 Grand, The “ASK” headquarters, St. Elizabeth's, Alameda County Courthouse, Scottish Rite Center, Lake Merritt Plaza, Kaiser Center, Bellvue-Staten Building, Ordway Building, and the Cathedral of Christ the Light.

Above the Kaiser Center Building is the African American Museum and Library at Oakland. Above that is the BART symbol within the Oakland Tree. Above the Scottish Rite Center is a red pagoda which is near downtown and above that the Broadway Building next to the Fox Oakland theater sign; above all of this is the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building.

Above the Fruitvale St. Bridge is the Oracle Arena. I remember fondly riding the train and visiting Jack London square so I put the Amtrak station above the arena. Next to the train station is my attempt to recreate a public art piece called “THERE!” designed by Roslyn Mazzilli. Next to that colorful piece of art is the Elihu M. Harris State Office Building and above that is the iconic City Hall.
Everyone will see different things when they first gaze at my drawing, but no one can miss the huge Raiders/Oakland Athletic's symbol in the top center of the page. Below the “S” is an artistic interpretation of the Paramount Theater's facade next to the beautiful Tribune Tower. Above the “S” is a blimp which is significant to me personally because I remember growing up near the coliseum and always hearing the Goodyear blimps going to Raiders games. I would run outside and watch the blimp up in the sky and wonder how it felt to be floating up so high above the beautiful city. On the blimp I've put one of the famous cranes from the Port of Oakland and on the side of the cargo it's lifting, I've drawn a heart to symbolize my love of the city where I was born, the city that raised me to be understanding and appreciative of all cultures and peoples, to be a good person, an exemplary student, to not be afraid, and to seek out beauty where others may have overlooked it. 
I love you, Oakland, California.

Tim
February 14th 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment