Thursday, February 13, 2014

Why I Love San Antonio Part 3/5 MISSIONS

"WHY I LOVE SAN ANTONIO"
Part 3/5 - Missions/Churches
Written by Timothy McVain


I'll never forget my first visit to San Antonio back in 2007. After going to dinner at Mi Tierra's and having ice cream at Rivercenter Mall, my sister took for a drive through downtown.

As we drove along Alamo street she pointed to one side of the street and said, "and there's the Alamo". Like most people I've talked to, I didn't even see it and couldn't believe a historic place like that was buried between a mall, museums, and hotels. We circled back around and when I saw it there lit up in the night- it was beautiful. 



Little did I know that only three years later I'd call San Antonio my home and find out there was more missions and beautiful churches besides the Alamo.


The dome and steeple rise over tall stone walls 
My heartbeat quickens as I walk towards the Mission San Jose








Bells play soft melodies through speakers above the arches of Mission San Juan
Echoing across the grassy plain of unbroken smoothness
At the center, a patch of cactus and a huge wooden cross






Following Mission Road, one of the smaller missions, Espada
The sun embraces the worn bricks and beautiful facade
 Oh, to be taken back through history to its days of glory




Walking under the shade of tall trees surrounding Mission Conception
I gaze towards the magnificent building bathing in the sunlight of a cloudless sky  










Bloodshed, Revolution; who could forget to “Remember The Alamo” 
It's the most iconic mission in the United States
Located in the very center, the heart of our San Antonio









Rising in the distance, seen from the upper level of IH-10 East 
The architecture of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Little Flower 





Lastly, It may be located in the bustling center of downtown and have a huge mall built around it, but I recommend leaving the shopping bags for a minute and walking in to St. Joseph's


Whether you stand to admire the elegant interior design or sit down to have a moment of silent reflection, this is one generally overlooked place you would be sorry to miss


 I had not been inside the church since I first moved to San Antonio and this past Tuesday when I went inside to get warm while on a downtown photography adventure in the freezing weather, the priest who was making his rounds of the sanctuary touched my arm with such kindness and affection I was truly moved and the experience is still with me; the fact there are nice people left in the world who aren't afraid of doing or saying something nice even to strangers


Aren't I forgetting something? ....Oh! The San Fernando Cathedral
Well, you'll just have to 
To read about why that church is another reason why I love SAN ANTONIO!


Follow Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment