Tuesday, July 8, 2014

TWELVE DAYS IN MAY Part One of Five

12 DAYS IN MAY
~Part One of Five~

"The Detour"


The adventure began in San Antonio, Texas where I waited at the Greyhound station seen above. While the Alamo City began to wake up, I sat watching the sun's light begin to highlight an interesting facade I'd never noticed before across the street. (Which I recently photographed below)



After what seemed like an eternity of waiting, it was finally time to depart. Once I got comfortable in my window seat, I listened to music and tried to sleep. I hadn't been to California (my home state) for a year and I was excited to ride through some of my favorite Texas cities; Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth.



I had just finished my drawing of Fort Worth (A city I have yet to explore personally) so when the bus pulled into the heart of downtown, I was giddy with excitement seeing buildings from my picture in real life.


The Detour began in Dumas, Texas at 3 AM. We had just driven through an impressive lightning storm when we stopped at the tiny West Texas town. Myself and all of the passengers were trying to sleep when the driver turned on the lights and announced that the alternator was not working and we'd have to turn around and go back to Amarillo...



I was supposed to arrive in Denver at 10 in the morning and catch the next bus to Utah at 12 Noon, but I didn't leave Amarillo until 10...



After an extremely long layover in Amarillo and hours of driving through New Mexico (pictured above) I arrived in Denver. The last bus of the day had already left for Utah and I was stranded. Instead of sleeping at the station I got a hotel room downtown and the view was breathtaking...



Since the sun was just beginning to set, I got to walk around and take pics after taking a much needed shower. Can't wait to draw this beautiful city!





 

After walking around feeling lonely, I found a delicious Mexican food restaurant which reminded me of the great food in San Antonio!

DIEGO'S  

What was on TV? A Spurs game! I felt right at home :) Before returning to the hotel I walked around the 16th Street Mall, one of the most innovative and beautiful places I've ever visited...







And in the morning I walked back through downtown to the bus station.





Finally on the bus headed towards Utah (24 hours after I was scheduled to leave Denver originally) I felt so grateful for the detour because I got to experience and see first hand a truly beautiful city I'd never visited. 



What an unexpected surprise! It made me hopeful for the rest of my trip, but with all the delays, I knew I'd have less time with my sister in Utah. To be exact, I only had... 


"12 Hours in Utah"

"12 Days in May (Part 2 of 5)" coming soon!!!




Follow Me!
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
FLICKR


1 comment: